Reading the book of Joshua, I have been reminded once again that our God is a mighty warrior and He is always faithful. He calls us to follow after Him, turn away from the idols of our hearts, and love Him with all our heart, soul, and mind. The concluding chapters in this book describe the distribution of the land to the tribes and record Joshua’s parting instructions to the people of Israel.
“These are the inheritances that Eleazar the priest and Joshua the son of Nun and the heads of the fathers’ houses of the tribes of the people of Israel distributed by lot at Shiloh before the Lord, at the entrance of the tent of meeting. So they finished dividing the land.” ~Joshua 19:51
The people had crossed the Jordan River and marched around the city of Jericho for six days before the walls crashed down on day seven. God’s strategies of warfare are different, amazing, and they call us to praise His name! From the first city, Israel’s warriors moved throughout the land and fought to claim this territory that the Lord had promised to them. Joshua now prepares to send the men of war back to their families and the land that had been given to each of their respective tribes.
“And now the Lord your God has given rest to your brothers, as he promised them. Therefore turn and go to your tents in the land where your possession lies, which Moses the servant of the Lord gave you on the other side of the Jordan. Only be very careful to observe the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the Lord commanded you, to love the Lord your God, and to walk in all his ways and to keep his commandments and to cling to him and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.” ~Joshua 22:4-6
Joshua instructs these men to follow the commandments of the Lord that were delivered to Moses at Mount Sinai. And, these phrases serve as good reminders for us in our personal walks with the Lord today.
- Be careful to observe the commandment and the law (Read your Bible)
- Love the Lord your God
- Walk in all His ways
- Keep His commandments
- Cling to Him
- Serve Him with all your heart and all your soul
And Joshua calls the people of Israel to be careful in the way they live their lives. Don’t follow after false gods or turn your back on the Lord your God. Live each day according to the Lord’s instruction and teaching. Make Him the first priority for every decision, choice, and moment in the day.
“Be very careful, therefore, to love the Lord your God.” ~Joshua 23:11
Take some time to thank the Lord for walking with you each day. Remember He wants to help you in every aspect of your life – relationships, work, and at home. As we choose to walk according to His law, we will experience His faithfulness in our lives.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Am I careful to follow the Lord’s commands each day?
- How can I demonstrate my love for the Lord in a more tangible way?
- As I go through my daily routine, what should my walk look like to others watching me? Am I a godly example to those who are watching me?
- Am I keeping His commandments? Are there some commandments I am struggling to follow? Help me identify those, confess them to the Lord, and seek to change my behavior, Lord.
- What are some practical ways I can know that I am clinging to the Lord?
- Where am I serving the Lord? How might I serve Him more regularly and faithfully?
Listen to this song during your worship time – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z32HiCoFzlU